The Center for Food Action provides emergency food, homelessness prevention and utility assistance to tens of thousands of individuals and families living in Northern New Jersey.
In Northern New Jersey, which is traditionally considered an affluent suburb, the poverty rate is 75% higher than it was 20 years ago.
- CFA distributed over 70,000 food packages to local families and individuals in Northern Bergen County.
- An emergency food package consists of seven days worth of food and the amount of food a household receives is based on family size.
- On average, an emergency food package consists of 6 bags of groceries.
- CFA also provided Thanksgiving food packages to 3,435 households – 11,679 people.
- As needed, CFA clients can come for food packages up to 12 times a year.
- CFA helped 1,980 households with other basic needs: rent - 479 households, security deposits - 396 households, utility & heating bills - 986 households, miscellaneous assistance - 119.
- CFA distributed over 18,000 weekend snack packs in 4 area elementary schools.
The New Jersey Anti-Hunger Coalition
- The mission of the New Jersey Anti-Hunger Coalition (NJAHC) is to end hunger in New Jersey through education, advocacy and activism.
- The NJAHC is a program of the Center for Food Action.
- Learn more: njahc.org