Emergency Food Program
- In 2011, CFA distributed 61,106 food packages to local families and individuals in Northern Bergen County.
- An emergency food package consists of seven days nutritious food. The amount of food a household receives is based on family size.
- On average, an emergency food package consists of 6 bags of groceries.
- CFA also provided Thanksgiving food packages.
- Based on income eligibility, a clients can come for food packages up to 12 times a year.
A package for a family of four has a value of about $180. The package consists of donated foods and paper goods, personal care itmes and clearning supplies. As funding permits,CFA purchases food items such as eggs, meat and fresh produce to include in the packages.
Diabetic Food Packages
CFA supplies between 230 and 250 diabetic food packages monthly. The number of requests for diabetic food packages has doubled over the past three years. It is a constant struggle to get enough items donated that meet the dietary needs of those living with diabetes.