Because Hunger Doesn't Take the Weekend Off!
Download Parents Testimonials
Download the Weekend Snack Pack Program Flyer
Download the Weekend Snack Pack Program Poster
WSPP YouTube Video: Snack Packs in the News/Student's Talk About Need
- Central Unitarian Church in Paramus assembled over 1,000 snack packs at the Church. Over 60 adults and children spent 3 hours on a Sunday afternoon assemblying the packs.
- Students and parents at Maugham School assembled 400 snack packs at their school. Many thanks to Stacy Esser for organizing this successful event.
- Under the direction of Karen Katz, students and parents at Smith School assembled 550 snack packs at the school. This is Smith School's second Weekend Snack Pack event.
- Students and teachers from The Epic School in Paramus assembled 300 snack packs at their school.
- JP Morgan Chase sponsored packing 900 snack packs at CFA Saddle Brook.
- Haworth Public School assembled over 500 snack packs as part of MLK Day of Service.
- CFA sponsored a MLK Day of service at our Saddle Brook location and assembled 3,500 snack packs
- Elisabeth Morrow School packed 1,000 Weekend Snack Packs. This event was sponsored by Jen Maxfield Ostfeld and Family.
Your $45.00 gift will help 10 children
Your $225.00 gift will help 50 children
Your $450.00 gift will help 100 children
Your $1,125.00 gift will help 250 children
Your $2,250.00 gift will help 500 children
Many children who receive free or reduced priced school meals are left without adequate nutrition on the weekend and holiday breaks.
The Center for Food Action’s Weekend Snack Pack Program (WSPP) is designed to fill this gap by providing healthy, kid-friendly, and easy to prepare snack foods to children at risk of hunger. The sealed snack packs will be discreetly distributed by the teachers three weekends a month.
When you host a WSPP food drive and/or collecting WSPP funds, you will be helping CFA give healthy weekend snacks to Bergen County children who are at risk of hunger.
The concept of a snack pack program originated over 12 years ago when a school nurse noticed that some of the students were arriving to school on Monday mornings with headaches, dizziness, stomach aches and fatigue. She noticed that these were the same students who were receiving free or reduced lunches. The nurse reached out to a local food pantry to organize a way to provide these students with nutritious weekend snacks.
Weekend Snack Pack:
The snack packs are delivered to four local elementary schools by CFA and the Rotary of the Palisades. The teachers discreetly place the snack packs into the student’s backpack when they are out of the classroom. Special emphasis will always be placed upon privacy.
Volunteers Are Essential to the Success of the Weekend Snack Pack Program:
The WSPP is part of CFA’s effort to reduce childhood hunger in our neighborhoods. CFA is reaching out for support from community groups, schools, businesses, foundations and faith based organizations. Groups are needed to collect, sort and package the child friendly items to be put in the snack packs.
You Can Make a Difference:
For $4.50 you can send a one child home with a weekend snack pack! Last year we distributed nearly 18,000 weekend snack packs from four local elementary schools.
- For $22.50 you can help 5 children
- For $45.00 you can help 10 children
- For $225.00 you can help 50 children
- For $450.00 you can help 100 children
Let's Get Started!
For large groups, the most effective way to help is to provide CFA with the funding. We will then purchase the specific food items and help your group organize a packing event at CFA Saddle Brook.
For smaller groups, organize a weekend snack pack food drive to collect the specific snack pack food items (listed below) or organize a fundraising event to collect the money needed to purchase the specific food items. (See above link)
Select a location where your group can assemble the weekend snack packs into 1 gallon size plastic zip storage bags. Insert a parental snack pack information sheet into each package. (See above link). Contact CFA’s Irwin Vogelman at 201-321-3142 to arrange a pick-up time.
One Snack Pack Contains the Following Items:
- 2% milk box, 8 ounces, non-flavored, shelf stable
- Cold cereal, 1 ounce individual serving size box, no chocolate or nuts
- Fruit, 4 ounce can - peaches or mixed (no applesauce)
- 100% Juice box, 6.75 ounces, apple preferred
- Chicken with rice or ravioli, 7.25 ounces, microwaveable bowl, Chef Boyardee or similar
- Macaroni and cheese, 7.25 oz
- Nutri-Grain snack bar, 1.3 ounce, apple flavor, no chocolate or nuts
CFA is a 501(C)(3), non-profit, non-sectarian emergency services and homelessness prevention agency. In 2013 CFA distributed over 70,000 emergency food packages and provided homelessness prevention services to over 1900 households..
For more information about the Weekend Snack Pack Program, please contact: Jennifer A. Johnson email@example.com | 201-569-1804 x28